A Life Determined by Thoughts

Sarah - Greensboro, North Carolina

The first year of high school was seemingly unbearable. I was dealing with my parent’s recent divorce, the long-distance relationships with my three older sisters, and the death of my only grandparent along with all of the stresses attached to being a freshman at an intimidating, new school. Everything I endured, every problem I had just seemed to stir up into some kind of overwhelming tornado on the verge of sweeping me off of my feet, but it was until I read The Secret written by Rhonda Byrne that I was able to take control of my hectic life.

I was given the book as a birthday gift that year. You can imagine the lack of excitement inside of a fifteen year old who wished only to reveal a cute, new shirt or maybe a pair of earrings. I neglected the thoughtful gift and placed it on my bookshelf to sit gathering a thin layer of dust. One day when I felt I had nothing better to do, I read. With each page I gradually began to believe more and more in this “secret” which mainly emphasized the power of one’s thoughts.

The Secret deeply analyzes the importance of thinking positive thoughts in order to bring good things upon oneself as well as the curse that negative thoughts will bring badness. This is known as the Law of Attraction: that one’s thoughts attract the positive or negative occurrences in life. As stated by the author, “Your thoughts are seeds, and the harvest you reap will depend on the seeds you plant.”

These words are what made me realize that this menacing tornado was brought on by my own negative thoughts. I was creating this terrible situation in which I felt so severely stuck, reaping a hopeless harvest and planting fruitless seeds. Knowing I could control my well-being by practicing optimism, I decided to change my way of thinking from negative to positive. Immediately, there was a change in my life bringing in new friends and better grades. Overall the change prevented me from being forced to suffer through unwanted situations.

I believe thoughts determine an individual’s physical and emotional state. I believe thoughts are what cause the good or bad to enter each person’s life. When trapped in a tough life, I believe changing one’s negative thoughts to positive will absolutely make a difference. It is through one’s thoughts by which all things are determined.