To be Normal is the Ideal Aim of the Unsuccesful

Michael - Des Moines, Iowa

Normal, it’s just average. It doesn’t fulfill or satisfy me in any way. It doesn’t give you a sense of who a person really is, or surprise you and show you something special. Normal doesn’t really grasp what we’re looking for in life, it’s just something we settle for.

I believe that being like everyone else is not the answer to helping you fit in, or gaining friends. But would make you just another face in the crowd, passed by without a second glance. That should be something we strive for; I know that when I’m out walking around, I don’t want people not noticing me, thinking that I’m just like everybody else, with nothing new to bring to the table. I want to be the person that people do a double take on, the person that gets people wondering, the person that stands out in a crowd, and the person that makes a difference in an otherwise average world today. When I hear people say that only one person can’t make a difference, I think that they may be true for one extraordinary person, but also that what if we had many, many people just being themselves and striving towards what we really need in the world? I believe with that, great things can occur.

Our mindset in the business and social world today is that change is not good. In fact, sometimes it is even looked down upon. Some of these people don’t embrace change, different, or unique surprises. But like things neat, clean cut, and normal. And this is what is changing the way common people just like you and me, wealthy people, and less fortunate people go about throughout life. It has come to the point, where jobs and opportunities are claimed and maintained by playing it safe, and sticking to what has become normal. It’s kinda like when you see a new kid at school coming from a different country or town, and he comes into a lunch room and sits down at an empty table alone. You know what most the kids at the school are thinking, they don’t want to leave the comfort of their “normal” to take a chance on something different. Then when you see the one or two kids that go and leave their own table to see the new kid, there’s just that feeling you get. You don’t know for sure what it is, but you know it’s a good one. You see, those kids are the inspiration and motive that is needed to change someone. This is what we need more of.

Our fear should not be of change, but rather what we could miss out on by not embracing it. We need to see one’s true light shine to us, rather than their unimportant things. And by being the good change in yours and someone else’s world, you unconsciously give others the permission to do the same.