Time To Listen

Nikita - San Diego, California

Stop. Now listen.

Don’t you think it’s kind of strange that no one takes the time to listen to other people? I sit wherever I happen to be, and I watch as people go about their lives, concerning themselves with the smallest of matters. What is it about them that causes everyone to think the world revolves around themselves, and not the people around them? If they keep thinking this, then they’ll never be happy. If you think about it, everyone is selfish. But I try to be different than that.

This is because I believe the only way to be happy is to make the people around you happy. After all, if only you are smiling, then what is there to smile about? When I was younger, it seemed like all of my friends forced themselves to be happy. If someone was sad, they’d try to make them laugh to cheer them up. And if someone was happy they’d just be happy around them. So, in a sense, it was like an eternal happiness. And that’s got to run out sometime. It’s better, in my opinion, that if someone’s sad, you should share their pain, or just sit quietly next to them. Being happy doesn’t make someone else happy, and smiles aren’t contagious. But understanding is the best cure.

And yet, a lot of people don’t seem to understand that. I’ve seen people who think smiling will fix everything. But it’s just a cover-up, a kind of last-ditch effort to try and stop someone from being sad. And it never works if the other person isn’t willing to be happy alongside you. So, why try to help others if this is so? I guess it’s in the hopes that my life will somehow be better if I do. Who knows? If we all try, then maybe the world will become a better place. If we all come to understand each other better, then maybe people will start being less sad, because they know people won’t lie to try and make them happy as often.

Happiness is not something that is easily achieved. It’s, more or less, something that has to come naturally. And, believe it or not, you can go from being happy to being sad in a matter of seconds. You can be playing with someone, and then a memory strikes you from doing such a thing that makes you sad. I would know, as it has happened to me before. And I cheered up because I knew that the people around me wished for my happiness. They didn’t want me to be sad. So they helped me become happy. Because of the belief that you are happy when others are happy, it is possible to achieve a sort of deeper link, one that gives you a kind of radar sense as to when someone’s not happy, and you are able to join forces with them so you may both be happy.