Hard Work Pays Off

Aaron - Kent, Washington
Themes: work

It’s near the end of the race; my muscles strain towards the finish line. Sweat drips off me like drops of rain. The cheers of the crowd take me back to dreadful days, days where my hands were fiery red with cold. Days when hail pelted my skin and I wondered if my sacrifice and hard work would pay off. I smile as I cross the finish-line. Everyone else is at least a step behind. I glance up and see my coaches high-five each other. My sacrifices have paid off. Hard work, the extreme effort to accomplish, is now a part of me.

I believe that hard work pays off. The harder I work, the more accomplished I’ll be. Even though this conviction helps me, it also comes with great sacrifice. This has been proven throughout my European tour, community service, and athletic career.

Due to coaches noticing my hard work on and off the court, I was invited to go on a European basketball tour. With that opportunity came a lot of responsibility. I had to earn what seemed like a gazillion dollars. While in Europe, I had to work hard to adjust to the food and jet-lag. I had to work even harder to play four back to back games in one day. My hard work and commitment to train before the trip helped me have a successful tour. This kind of dedication and effort has also helped me better serve my community,

Giving back to a community takes hard work. I know this first hand because of the volunteer work I do. For the last three years I’ve coached a 4th – 6th grade boy’s basketball team. I sacrificed my time but I also worked hard to be a positive role model. I encouraged my team instead of yelling at their mistakes. I made an effort to always be respectful to other coaches and referees. Thinking about what’s best for others is hard work, both in the community, and on a sports team.

My teammates wonder why I go to practice early and leave late. It’s my work ethic. One day, during track season, practice ended early. Instead of leaving, I stayed behind to do block work. Coach Waltner, had to tell me to stop training and go home. He appreciated my dedication, but told me I needed to rest. The reward for my extra training was apparent the next day. One of my track goals was to have a “photo finish” with my teammate Matt Seel. It happened! Matt beat me by only .02 seconds. Hard work pays off, and helps one accomplish their goals.

I believe that hard work pays off. In order to accomplish my goals and dreams, I have to work hard. This will enable me to support myself, my family, and hopefully impact my community. Hard work lasts forever.