Family Is Key

Jayme - Columbus, Ohio

Throughout my fifteen years of life, I have slowly drifted away from my family and more towards friends and material things. However, whenever I need or want something, I find myself turning to family, rather than friends or the material things I surround myself with regularly. As teenagers grow up, they often lose the importance of family, and replace it with other things. I believe that family should be key in life.

A few years ago, I watched my sister go through a faze where she never wanted to be home, when she was home she was in her room, and did not want be around us. I always told my mom when my sister acted this way, which was for her first two years of high school, that I would NEVER act that way. I never thought I would treat my mom that way, but that all changed when I started high school.

It all started a little bit into my freshmen year in high school. I started spending a lot of time with friends and would have much rather been with friends than with my family. I finally started to realize, after ending some friendships and also beginning some new ones, that friends will always come and go. I had a hard time understanding that just because someone is your “best friend” that does not mean it will last forever. “BFF” is not always true; you may be best friends, but “forever” is not as long as it seems.

Every time I was upset, I would turn to my family, but I was never too nice to my them. It got to the point where they would not want me around. I then realized I had turned into the girl my sister was a few years back, who I promised my mom I would never be. I was almost never home, but when I was, I was up in my room, or arguing with my family.

I lost my “best friend”, someone I spent all my time with. After that, I finally came to realize I couldn’t put all my trust into some high school student. I even know that I am not the trustworthiest person. My family was there for me even though I had pushed them away for so long. They listened, and comforted me when I needed them most. They will always be there for me no matter what, they would never get mad and leave me out in the cold.

It took a long time and a lot of endings and beginnings of friendships to realize my family should be the most important people in my life. My family will never just wake up and one day and decide to walk out of my life. They will always support me in everything I do, even when I make mistakes. They will always be there for me. Family should be the key people in everyone’s life no matter what. My family loves me unconditionally.