Angels Among Us

Kathleen - Traverse City, Michigan

Angels Among Us

My foster parents have been two of the most influential people in my life. I lived with them from the age of eight months to two years old. They showed an amazing ability to love and sacrifice by opening their home to me and other children. I believe that foster parents are angels that God has put among us to be evidence of the love He has for us. Any person that has the ability to open his or her home to a child, knowing that the child will very possibly be taken from their care is truly an example of God’s extraordinary love for us.

I visited my foster parents during the summer of 2007. I was almost seventeen and a soon-to-be senior in high school. It was the first time I had seen them since I was five years old. We had been writing to each other for years and we had always talked about how we wanted to see each other again. Well, it finally panned out when we realized that we might not be able to see each other before I graduated from high school. So, my foster parents kindly offered to pay for a plane ticket that would allow me to fly out to Wyoming to visit them. In a flurry of e-mail communication, which is highly unusual for us, the dates were decided: I would fly to Wyoming on August sixteenth and come home on the twentieth.

I don’t remember much of the plane ride out, but I do remember walking up the jetway and seeing my foster mom standing at the gate waiting for me and looking worried because I was the last one off the plane. As I walked up, I wasn’t sure how to greet her. But she solved my dilemma for me, however, by wrapping her arms around me and giving me one of the most loving, welcoming hugs I have ever received. As I returned her hug, I realized that no matter how much time had passed since I had last seen my foster parents I loved them. I knew then that this visit would be anything but awkward, as I was afraid it might be.

My foster mom and I walked together down the stairs towards the luggage pick-up and my foster dad. He was waiting for us with their current foster child. We collected my bags and began a once-in-a-life time visit. The trip was flawless; I was able to do some sightseeing in the area. The best part about the trip for me was the opportunity to learn about each other, as well as come to know one another in a personal way. I cannot even begin to describe the depth and amount of the emotions we experienced in the span of four days. There was nervousness, of course, but there was also joy and contentment and sadness. Most importantly there was love. At the airport that last day, I know that it was almost impossible for me not to cry, and I believe that my foster dad was feeling the same. I can only imagine how hard it was for him to stand and watch as I walked to the plane that would take me back to my family.

My foster parents have demonstrated God’s unique and everlasting love in too many ways to count. For me, they are truly God’s angels here on earth.