Hidden Wisdom

Celeste - San Diego, California

I guess I am kind of lucky when it comes to school. I never have to try very hard. It seems like I am always good at whatever I have to do and I never have to worry about not understanding something. For the longest time I thought everyone else was the same.

As I got older I realized that I was wrong. Everyone learned differently and at different speeds, but this didn’t intrigue me as it does now, it frustrated me. It was completely and utterly annoying to have to sit and wait for the other kids to catch up to where I was when I was already itching to move onto the next thing.

That’s how I worked, for years and years, just frustrated that I had to slow down and wait, but then I met Amber. Amber was one of the slowest kids in our class, especially in math. She took forever to grasp simple concepts when it took me a matter or minutes. Then one day we sat down and had lunch together and that’s when I learned what I believe most about this world, everyone has something to contribute they just have to be given the right opportunities to show the world.

That day at lunch I learned Amber had an amazing memory. I could write 50 words on a paper and show her the paper for 15 seconds. After I took the paper away she could almost relay the entire list of words back to me. That’s when I realized that everyone has something, some talent or piece of wisdom. Something that would help me improve my person. Without talking to her and taking the time to get to know Amber I never would have known that. Now when I meet new people I ask myself “What could they have to teach me?” The answer, everything.

In our world we think we know everything. The truth is we don’t. But we all know some bits and pieces. And when we can overcome our differences and be willing to listen to each other we can form an understanding greater than our own. So remember that the next time you brush someone off because you think they know less than you. That person could know how to save you gas mileage or how to cure cancer, but if you don’t give them the chance you may never know. So ask yourself, “What can this person teach me?” You may be very surprised. So what do I believe? I believe we must be especially careful to listen to people who seem unimportant, they may teach you the world.