We are all Cowards

Gina - Palatine, Illinois

I believe that we are all cowards; cowards that cannot bear the consequences of surrendering our self comfort and reputation that we let go of the very lives we could have saved if we sacrificed just a little bit of our money to help feed and heal the people that live day by day fighting a battle against starvation.

…We are all cowards that cannot live without the name brand clothes, purses, or cars that give a false sense of security and superiority.

…We are all cowards that cannot live a day without filling our stomach with unnecessary junk food.

…We are all cowards that cannot build up enough courage to bear the guilt of ignoring the people dieing in third world countries.

…We are all cowards that refuse to admit our flaws of abandoning our responsibility of taking care of the mess we made – the mess of people trapped so deeply inside of poverty, dieing every single day, because of the insufficiency of food, money and resources caused by our wasteful lifestyles.

Our ignorance is what causes ten-year-old girls to go out and sell their body off to feed their younger brothers and sisters because their parents died from hunger or disease. Our thoughtless actions are the things that cause parents to watch their own child’s body deteriorating because of their inability to feed their own children. We are the ones that strip all sense of hope and life from these people whose lives could have been prolonged if we had given up that Louis Vuitton purse, that Lexus convertible, or that i-phone. It is time our society comes to recognize the true definition of waste. Waste is not merely trash, garbage, or unused products thrown away. However, wastes are the things we purchase at the cost of the lives of people starving to death. The expensive things that our society considers as valuables are the real wastes that are being bought with the money that could have been used to save countless number of lives.

I believe that we are all cowards living wasteful lives. A rich business owner, a celebrated athlete, or a famous movie-star should not be characterized as “successful,” when the money they earn is all used to make themselves shine brighter. True success can only come to those that know how to think of others before themselves and to those who are brave enough to dissent from our society’s misdemeanors of ignoring the people that are reaching out their hands for help. My dream and ambition is to build up that courage to step out of my wasteful life and to have a compassionate heart for those that are suffering so that I can take responsibility of letting humans just like me die everywhere around the world because of my careless actions.