I believe in birth

Cynthia - Carlsbad, California
Themes: birth

I believe in the strength of a women’s body

The most powerful and empowering experience in my life thus far have been the births of my three daughters . Never did I imagine that it would be such an event, but then again, I never thought I would have a natural birth in my own home.

I believe in the power of the midwive’s wisdom

Catherine Miller was my midwife for all three daughters. Where a doctor may use pitocin to start the labor or anesthesia to numb the pain, Catherine comes with her own supply of natural wonders and tools. Whether is moving positions, sweeping the membrane, herbs, homeopaths, or lying in a tub. They are all meant to help the mother and the baby.

It was a cool Fall, Friday morning, I woke up and laid still in bed as a warm tear rolled down my cheek. It was two weeks since the due date came and went and I was tired of being pregnant, tired of waiting, tired of worrying. Worried about the position of the head and the fact that he/she was so late. Why?!!!! My mind screamed at me with all these horrible thoughts and it took complete focus to keep my mind steady and think positively.

Later that morning, I called Catharine to share my deep frustration and the need to have the baby. Knowing what was to come, she had me take the castrol oil concoctions – 4 oz mixed with my juice of choice. As soon as I got home, I pulled out the blender and made the best smoothie and with a shot of castor oil. Together with acupuncture, labor began.

I believe in surrounding yourself with people who believe in the birth process. .

There is no shortage of fear looming around a pregnant woman and when people know you are having a home birth, the unwanted opinions come in waves. The birth team at is carefully chosen based on their roll — who would help the mom, who would support the midwife, and so on. There is much to be said for the midwife assistant – unselfishly giving all her power and strength for the birth.

Labor kicks in as I enter the transition portion of labor. My legs are restless and the contractions don’t let up. I arch my back and hear myself make louder noises. My body remembers this feeling and I know that the hardest part is almost over. I have a contraction, want to throw up, and have to go to the bathroom all at once. I am helped into the bathroom. Going to the bathroom is tortuous – I have absolutely no control over any function and my hands push the walls to counter the unbearable force.

I believe that best moment in the world is holding your child for the first time.

Transition is over and it is now time to push. There is so much vital force rushing through my body. My water breaks. I remember ‘trust and surrender’. I let a couple of contractions come and go – knowing that my child is almost here. Contraction and PUSH!!! I feel the head pass; then, I feel a soft, warm baby on my chest. Silence.

The beauty of birth is in my arms. I look at my baby and I look at her face –she is perfect, healthly and beautiful. I am exhausted and relieved that my baby is okay. I smile at my husband – another girl.

It’s about 3 AM and my new daughter, Alexandria, is sleeping peacefully next to me as I start to fall asleep. Alexandria was born December 9th, 2006 at home.