The Truth

John - Rolling Meadows, Illinois

I believe the truth should be considered an important priority in all people’s lives. This means that despair and defeat sometimes need to reach the minds of all individuals in order for a proper mental growth to exist. Furthermore, the words of wisdom students receive throughout their lives may not accurately reflect upon reality. Despite society’s efforts to shield its citizens’ minds from pain, I believe the truth should reach the ears of each individual.

In our time period, a child matures with taking his or her health for granted. Although improving mankind’s health as a whole is certainly necessary, this improvement should not come at the cost of a child’s ignorance. Childhood is considered a time when learning vital proficiencies are crucial in proper functioning in later life. However, as society continues to act as a barrier to students’ pain, students will gradually become less adept in adjusting to the hardships of their years to come. An example of this is of various schools preventing educators from giving out F’s, and forcing them to instead call them U’s. Although seemingly insignificant, each little effort to shield children from pain will only end up causing them more of it in the future. A child’s self esteem isn’t worth sacrificing that individual’s mental fortitude.

Students have grown up taking into consideration a significant amount of valuable advice from the environment, especially ones that promise to improve their lives in the future. However, some of these recommendations do not accurately reflect upon reality. For example, sometimes, not all pain is gain. The world can be cruel, even if an individual did not provoke any misfortune; therefore, children should not be taught to expect a future in which every event is just and purposeful.

Secondly, students should not expect success to depend entirely on one’s effort in reality. An analogy I created compares success to filling bottles with water. The volume of water an individual is able to provide varies between each person, and can be thought of as a person’s own abilities. A person’s effort, however, is the size of the empty bottle; no matter how big the bottle is, if the water does not fill the bottle, success is not reached. Therefore, in many situations, a person’s own limit decides whether success can be reached or not. However, society continues to convince students that each person is an infinite water supply. By continuing to offer unrealistic beliefs in students, a student will be unable to properly adapt and function in future situations.