Hard Work Pays Off

Daniel - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: work

I believe that hard work pays off and that you live a better life when you are working hard. I have always been a person who is always looking to improve on what I can do and learn. I am committed to what I am doing and have the strong desire to learn and master new feats. The thing I most work hard at is soccer because it is my favorite sport and I hope to play in college and hopefully professionally.

Ever since I was around three years old I played soccer. My grandfather was the one who taught me how to play the game and always kicked the ball with me. I later joined a local league at age six and a club team at age fifteen.

There are times when I do not let anything get in the way between me and practicing soccer. One day, I snuck off to Niles West High School soccer field during a family party. I practiced my shooting on the nets and set up cones to practice accuracy. I also practiced my crosses into the box which is not easy if you want to produce the perfect cross. I was gone for about two and a half hours and when I got home my family was mad but, I was happy.

When you train for soccer it is very intense and difficult. Lots of running is involved and different types of running at that. You have to practice all aspects of the game and practice it for at least an hour a day (my average is two). You have to take some drills that you have learned and you also have to make your own drills up too. I go to different coaches and different websites online and different soccer camps to learn all of these drills. Homework can be a huge factor for the knowledge about the game and the confidence of what you put into it.

Ever since I started high school, my interest and commitment towards soccer have soared. I practice every day and am constantly trying to get better. I practice dribbling, shooting, passing, control, accuracy, speed, and agility. For me, it does not matter if I practice alone or with my team (which is usually preferred) but what matters is the pace I set for myself and the goals I want to achieve.