Love is all you need

Emily - Palatine, Illinois
Themes: love

“All you need is love,” the Beatles famous song cries explaining the strength of love. Love is the most powerful feeling in the world.

A child’s love is the most pure love. Children have an unconditional love for everyone in their life. As I walk into my cousin’s home, I hear the 4-year-old and 7-year-old feet come running screaming my name. I receive big hugs from such little people. My heart surges when I see their excited faces. Their love is what can give any bad day a complete 180-degree turn. Children may not necessarily know what the word love means at such a young age, but children are the best at lending their hearts out to everyone and anyone who is important to them.

If only everyone could be as fearless as a child is when handing out his or her love. As we grow older, love is scary. The fear of what love can do hinders our desires to have love in our lives. Becoming close to a person causes many to run in the other direction. The fear of not being loved back can scare a person, but more often than not it is receiving love that scares a person. Love can scare people from what they really want. I wanted to be in a relationship with Michael, but the possibility of losing him from my life scared me into telling him I thought we should just be friends, but we are no longer friends anyway because I pushed him away from my fear. I wish I could say I told him that I wanted to be with him and I took a chance, but love turned me into a coward. Love is a powerful thing, and sometimes love is not fair.

First marriages end in divorce 50% of the time, a startling statistic that often overpowers the success rates of marriages. Marriage is the ultimate portrayal of love. My parents are one of those success stories. After 27 years of marriage, they are still happily married. Their love gives me hope that I will be able to only marry once. Their love and support have helped me become the confident hard-working person I am today. It is their love that has led me to believe that love can solve almost any problem, that love is powerful, and most importantly that love is possible.

The continuous wars going on in the world can lead a person into believing there is no such as thing as love. Daily news coverage of terrorist attacks teaches the world that there is no love. There is rarely coverage that makes people happy to hear the news. But love is possible and love occurs everywhere everyday. People need to remember what love is possible of doing because love is powerful.