I believe in dancing.

Michelle - Bal harbour, Florida

Since I was three years old I have admired dancing. I have taken almost every type of dance including, ballet, jazz, tap, you name it. I danced at a studio in Miami for 10 years until I was 12 years old. I was sick of the rules, the instructors, and most importantly the stupid pink tights, so I stopped. This is why I believe in dancing. I’m not talking about classical ballet, or hip-hop, I’m talking about the type of dance you do when no one’s watching. The type of dance you do when your favorite song comes on and you let go in front of your bathroom mirror. The type of dance that is free-spirited and has no rules to it.

Whenever I have a stressful week I go out and dance with my friends. It’s a great way to unwind and shake the stress away. Whether its at a party, in my room, or on top of some sort of table, dancing lets me step out of reality and into my own zone where the music carries me away. I believe in stepping out of your comfort zone and taking risks. It is such an amazing feeling to just let go and focus on nothing but you and the rhythm of the music. I personally believe that if everyone would dance and unwind to their favorite song there would be a lot less stress in today’s society.

Dancing has given me a lot more confidence in myself. It takes alot to get out in front of a crowd and bust out your own moves without getting starred or laughed at. Sometimes I wonder what other people are thinking when I dance, but there perspective is not important to me. I believe in enjoying yourself as you are and not letting people’s opinions influence that. Dancing has helped me deal with a lot of issues by not letting myself get too worked up and irritated. It’s how I cope with things that cannot be said in words, like anxiety and stress. I believe in dancing because it lets me focus on myself and helps me realize that you shouldn’t take life too seriously. It’s a great way to burn calories while letting go in the music and unwinding from my everyday stresses.