A Life Philosophy

Christina - Muenchen, Germany

I am 17, but I can remember the days, when I was 4, as if it was yesterday. I can remember my dad teaching me how to ride my bicycle. And I can remember him saying: “Come on, just try it again. Be optimistic! The next time you will be way better…”

And he was right. I got better and better with time. I practiced hard and every time I fell, I thought of my dad’s words. And it worked. After about two weeks I was able to ride my bicycle without any help. I was so proud!

At that time I was too young to understand. I was too young to question. And I was too young to find out what my dad meant by the word optimistic.

Later in elementary school we started to learn how to write. Spelling all the words correctly was hard in the beginning. And again, my dad sat down with me every afternoon to practice writing and spelling words. And he always said: “Be optimistic. We are just going to practice every afternoon and you will see results soon!” And again, he was right. I got an A on the next spelling test. It made me very proud.

Many things, similar to these two examples, happened in my life. And, you bet, my dad was always there. He was the one who taught me how to be optimistic and solve difficulties much easier with that philosophy.

I took the final step to this philosophy at the age of sixteen. August 23rd 2007 – a great day of change for my family and especially for myself. It was the day I went to America to be an exchange student for the upcoming school year. I remember standing at the airport and looking into the faces of my parents. They were worried. Very worried. I was too, but on the other side I was optimistic. I was so excited, that I could not feel my fear. Then suddenly my Dad started to cry. First I was shocked and did not know what to do. Normally it is the other way around; children should be the ones who cry. Then I gave him a huge hug and whispered in his hear: “Come on, Daddy, be optimistic! Everything is going to be fine and I will be back sooner than you can imagine.” This sentence put a smile on his face, because he knew that he had reached his goal. After this, I gave my Mom and my little brother a hug, too and turned around and went through the security.

I knew I could not go back anymore. I knew I could not turn around without starting to cry. And I knew I could be optimistic. This experience changed my life.

Today I think my dad’s word influenced me. I am more positive. That does not mean I am happy all the time, but it means, that I am looking at problems and other difficulties from another point of view. I think that is how you define the word optimistic. And I think he made optimism the philosophy of my life.

For this I believe in optimism!!