One Change

Melody - Freeland, Washington

Have you ever heard of an Eosinophilic disorder? I was born with it. When I was four-and-a-half my disease had reached to a point where the doctors were saying I was going to die and weren’t sure what it was. I didn’t know that I had it till I was 11. I believe having Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis has shaped my view of life.

When I was told that I had Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis, which is a disease that was not well known and has no cure, I was in shock. After the state of being shocked, I became mad at myself. I was furious because the disease was incurable. I at least wanted a curable one. I didn’t want to be myself.

After I had been told that I had Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis, the disease was on my mind all night. I went to sleep and dreamed. In my dream I was by a beach, sitting on a bridge that was over the water, thinking about how I could take this situation that is negative and turn it positive, even if the solution does not help me. The next morning I woke up refreshed and remembered my whole dream, and I had a solution to my dilemma. I figured out that I could help myself and others by being part of research. I also figured that I could help others who are new to having a long-term medical challenge in their life by telling them my story. Having this disease was the only way for me to discover these thoughts.

This disease has affected my whole body including my face. My face had been affected so much that I needed to have surgery in my sinuses. After I got out the surgery I had to stay in the hospital for a night and my face was burning. I kept smiling which made me feel better. The nurses thought I was crazy and asked “why are you smiling?” I responded by saying “Why should I not smile?”

I have reached out to other kids who’ve recently had life changing medical experiences. Once I met a boy, who is one year older than me, who had just gone through a transplant. He was worried about how his life would change physically and how his friends would treat him. I told him “Though you’re going to have to watch how you are doing, your life won’t change much otherwise. Now about your friends, don’t worry about them. They’re going to support you and they’ll watch out for you like my friends have done for me.”

Having Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis has formed my view of life. I’ve become stronger both emotionally and physically. My friends continue to back me up and treat me like I am “normal” person. I have to stay flexible everyday because I never know what’s going to happen with me or the research. I believe Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis has shaped my view of life: I appreciate every day.