The Sound of Music

Eric - Pembroke Pines, Florida

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow once said “Music is the universal language of mankind.” I could not agree more with this statement, for, in my four years of music education, I have been exposed to not only great music, but great people. I would not be a fragment of the person I am today if it was not for my years in band. I believe that music is a potent force that drives unity in mankind.

In our marching band, which I have been part of for a year, the love for music and yearning to be part of something big, compels us to congregate for hours upon hours a week to perfect our show. This group of about 70 forms what we call a family; for we spend more time with each other than our actual parents and siblings during the marching season. The Falcon Sound, as our assemblage is called, has formed such tight bonds that it is not rare that we find alumni coming back to see our shows and help out at rehearsals. If that is not love, I don’t know what is.

There are also my experiences in both All-County Honors and All-State bands. In each, I met interesting and brilliant musicians. One musician in particular is Harry, a clarinet player who I met while performing with the All-County band. Harry was first chair, meaning that he was the top player of his clarinet section. Although Harry and I were in different sections, we instantly connected when we were at the lunch hour during one of our rehearsal days. Harry and I both shared the same intense love of music and band. About three months later, Harry and I met unexpectedly later on route to All-State in Tampa. For, all of the students that were invited from our county went to the convention in a few buses together. Fate forced us to be roommates. Thus, my friend and I had the time of our lives in Tampa; both playing and fooling around a bit.

If it had not been for music, Harry and I would have never met, let alone my other musical friends from marching band. In my life, at least, this belief is incontrovertible. The power of music has brought an immense amount of joy into my life and I cannot fathom a better group of people to be surrounded by. Some act as mentors, some as older brother, and some as little sisters, but all of us watch out for each other and make sure that we are all okay. This is the power of music. This is the power of music that has thrust us together. For, in the Falcon Sound, and the world of music in general, love is everywhere; and this love induces strength and unity.