The Power of Friendship

Rachel - Hemlock, Michigan

As I enter my final year of high school, I have learned many lessons that I can take with me throughout my life. My friends have taught me many things that I will take with me and teach to future generations. I believe that the power of friendship can and will get you through anything that you may encounter in life.

I’m seventeen, so I can’t say that I’ve had a lifetime of experiences on hand to tell, but some of the experiences that I’ve been through I wouldn’t have been able to handle nor get through if it wasn’t for my friends. Last year I went through some hard times with the death of my grandfather, I wasn’t myself for an extremely long time and in the summer I became someone that neither I nor anyone else knew. As the summer progressed, mental distraught and being sexually abused were some of the things that happened to me. I was in a dark mental trap from March of 2007 until September of 2007. When school started up again and I entered my junior year of high school, I was still in that mental distraught. I thought that my life was set and that I didn’t need school because in a year or so I’d be gone and out of here. Someone brought this feeling upon me during the summer, the feeling of being secure with my future because he was always going to be there for me. He told me this everyday and I fell into his sick and twisted lies. With the start of school I started to see all of my friends that I lost contact with during the summer and I started to gain the sense of the woman that I was supposed to be, not the woman I was becoming. Betrayal and lies are what finally brought me to my worst in mid-September. I told the one person I could trust my secret of the past summer in tears in my basement. When she started to cry with me, I knew then and there that I had a friend that would help me though everything that was going to be coming undone in the upcoming months. I knew that she was the person that cared the most about me, I could confide in her for anything. Her friendship and her help got me through the most difficult thing that I could ever try to rebound back from. Sexual abuse broke me, but true friendship brought me back.

As my junior year gets done I realize the power that friendship has had upon me. I have gained more friends this year and made what I know will be the greatest friendships that I’ve ever had. I’ve involved myself with multiple groups this year such as Service Club, and SADD. I’ve also continued doing the two things I love most, music and drama. Drama Club and Band have helped me to come out of my shell, and this year was the year that that happened to me. I gained more respect among my fellow classmates, my band teacher, my librarian, and drama coaches. Keeping my love of the fine arts alive and the friendships amongst teachers, drama coaches, and friends, helped me get through my junior year of high school.

Friendship is something that should be cherished. Your true friends are the ones who will be there for you during the hard times, will listen to you and will help you with your problems. True friends are what I found this year. When I needed someone the most, my friends were there for me. Last summer was one that I don’t like to recall, but it taught me something about finding and trusting your true friends. As my junior year comes to a close I can now say that it was the best year in high school because of my friends. Gaining new friendships, keeping friendships alive, and finding my true friends were some of the things I did this year. I believe many things, but the power of friendship is one of my strongest beliefs that I have. Without it, I would be nothing.