The Obstacles We Face

Eric - norfolk, Virginia

I believe in obstacles. All my life I have been presented with challenges at every turn. I was born disabled and I am confined to a wheelchair, however I have not let that get me down. I encounter a problem and I overcome it, as I believe everyone should do.

Growing up wheelchair-bound has been difficult, to say the least, but I have done everything in my in my power to not be incapable or unable.

In my eighteen years I have come across many obstacles. I have had over thirty orthopedic surgeries and I am still expecting more. In 2001, I almost died after a spinal fusion surgery caused Pancreatitis and led to the removal of three of my organs.

Even simpler difficulties, such as the myriad of complications surrounding my attainment of a driver’s license or the occasional situation in which I am unable to go somewhere with a friend due to accessibility issues, have vexed me to an extent. But I have not and will not allow those things to get me down.

I have competed in sports, taken the toughest classes my school offers, and managed to maintain a healthy social life. This is why I believe in obstacles.

Obstacles in life make us who we are. Like the saying goes, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” and that is entirely true. I would not be the person I am today if it weren’t for every hardship, battle or little issue that has riddled my life. My story is no different than anyone else’s, only the minor details are different.

Each person must overcome his own obstacles…or fall victim to them. Whether it be a medical issue, a test, a possibility for a promotion or anything else, I work hard to get the outcome I want. I take the rougher road less travelled, not the easy shortcut that could save a little hardship. Each wall or roadblock I encounter teaches me a little more about myself and doing the same will help to improve you. Conflicts build character and mold you into a well rounded person. Your life is what you make it, but conflicts, these small points of friction and the obstacles you confront make you.