Power of a Smile

katy - 78133, Texas

I have those days were everything goes wrong. I wake up late, spill orange juice on my clean shirt, and as I climb the steps of the bus I remember my homework is lying on the dining room table. My chest feels like its being tightened by a rope made of all my problems. That feeling stirs within me the entire day and my will is broken so I give up on making my day better. My friends could not do anything to make me feel better; all they could do was smile and try to joke around with me. Even the constricting rope around my chest was loosened by their smiles. My friends knew that their optimism was relieving my stress so they continued. Their smile was so comforting that it taught me a lesson. A smile doesn’t only mean happiness to the beholder but to everyone around them.

I believe that a smile is powerful gesture that really helps people.

On those kinds of days I make a point to smile as much as I can, till my cheeks burn and is permanently plastered to my face. When one of my classmates drops their bag in the crammed hallway and everything slides onto the floor strategically placed under the shoes of people passing, I bend down and smile at him as I help. I’ve been there. I’ve smiled and started a conversation with the lady at the speedy stop, the one who hates her job and the people she has to deal with. I believe its people as an entire race to lend a hand to someone else, even if it’s a simple gesture like a smile. The human race as a whole is made up of billions of people and everyone needs a support system. Why can’t that be everyone else?

A smile doesn’t need perfect teeth or a beautiful face to be on, it only needs to be sincere. A smile may be a simple gesture, but the simplicity is part of why a smile helps. The smile doesn’t cost anything; it only takes one second to make a little difference in someone’s day.

Even on those harsh days when the world seems to be falling around, a smile can make a difference. However, there is always someone who will give you a smile. Maybe it’s the girl I smiled at yesterday or the coach at practice. I feel connected to them in a cycle of smiles. It’s like they repay you for that little effort you gave them to improve their day. That feeling you get, that warming of your entire body when you know you made a difference lives with you. And when someone smiles at me, I appreciate that they notice I need that small gesture.

Whether it’s someone you know and love or someone you don’t, a smile is an amazing gesture that can change their day. I give my smiles to everyone just to make a small change. This I believe.