Alicia - canyon lake, Texas
Themes: sports

I was a complete mess. Curls fell around my face. My head was racing and I could feel my self tensing up. As far as I was concerned I had just experienced the worst day of my life. The evidence was all in my face: tear marks still streaked down my cheeks while my eyes darted from person to person never looking at anyone for too long.

My coach’s voice broke the silence, “A.”

“And W, set up a 3-2.”

My mind was frozen and yet some how, despite my own wish to just sit in the corner, my legs quickly carried me to my appointed position on the court. I closed my eyes and tried to pretend I was some where else but before I knew it I was racing around the court. I stopped the ball and blocked shots like never before. On offense I kept to the plays and executed them as best I could, almost like a passing and shooting machine. My mind had sifted gear, I was now a basketball player first and a broken-hearted girl second. Every step I took made the outside world seem less and less important. The pain returned, it begged me to stop and catch my breath. This was simply not an option I needed to work through the pain. This time spent on the court would build up my endurance and improve my skills. A shriek echoed throughout the gym that made me stopped dead in my tracks, it was the whistle. “Go get some water. You have one minute,” Coach hollered at us.

In that very moment I realized basketball was more than just a sport. Basketball gave me goals and thought me how to work through tough times, as the worst was still to come. A principle also came out of that morning’s practice, in life I had to work through my problems to straighten out things, much the same way I had to force my self to play through the pain in basketball.

I believe in basketball. Basketball is the only constant in my life, the one thing that no one can take from me no matter how hard they may try. There are a whole thirty-two heart pounding, blood racing minutes where I am just the same as every other girl on the court. It is in those moments I get a break from reality, the game is all that counts. During the game it doesn’t matter who your boyfriend is or what gossip has just been spread through out the school, all there is is the game. The moment my foot hits the court I will always be a basketball player first and a drama filled girl second.