I believe in the power of youth

Tiffany - Spring Branch, Texas

I Believe In the Power of Youth

I hear the sound of laughter. This is the sound I have got accustom to hearing every morning when I wake up. I walk into the living room wondering what “they” are up to next. The first thing I see is their bright blue eyes and blonde hair. After realizing that these two people sprawled across the floor were Skyler and Chelsea, just as I had guessed, I see that they are wrestling for a yellow rubber ball. Skyler is eleven, very athletic, and has lots of freckles. Chelsea is six and depending on her mood for that day can either be as sweet as sugar or as cold as ice. I didn’t quite understand why they both wanted the ball so bad but I soon realized that they were playing a game. They were still in their pajamas and were wearing cotton socks. These socks kept there feet warm but made them slip and fall every time they tried to run. Determined to get up off the ground they kept trying to stand up only failing and falling back down in laughter. Finally when they managed to get up off the ground the person who retrieved the ball would chunk it at the front door aiming for the doorknob. They would aim for the golden knob pretending like it was a target and every time they hit the doorknob they would jump up and cheer. But by the time the ball bounced back to them they would already be back on their feet ready to dive for the ball again. It amazed me how they could have so much fun with something so simple as a bouncy ball and a doorknob.

Another time when they were bored they decided to go camping. They constructed a “tent” in Skyler’s room made of blankets hanging from the metal bars of his blue bunk bed. The blankets, chosen by Chelsea, were of Taz, SpongeBob Squarepants, and Cinderella. Then they got hungry and decided to make smores. These were far from perfect considering that the marshmallow wasn’t melted and the chocolate wasn’t a Hershey bar but Nestle chocolate chips. Once it got dark they grabbed Chelsea’s Monster’s Inc. flashlight and red scary stories. Then when they got tired they watched Cat in the Hat but fell asleep halfway through the movie just like they always do when they stay up late because they get so exhausted.

It astounds me to see how children can be so creative and positive in finding something fun to do. It seems like you could hand them a bucket and they would find something exciting to do with it. They are so intelligent even though they are so young. I believe that the most powerful thing is creativity which children seem to have more of these days. I believe that the most powerful people are the youngest. I believe in the power of youth.