Skyward ambitions

Paxton - Canyon lake, Texas

I believe in the sky. For as long as I can remember, I have been obsessed with the sky. I would be outside just staring. What I saw varied from scanning the horizon looking for planes to looking at the stars in the night sky. Through out my life the one thing I loved was to be with the sky. It didn’t matter if I was on top of a hill or even on the roof of my house; the sky held no boundaries and seemed to go on forever. I remember going on vacations flying in planes, and I would have all of the pictures in my camera used before I got off the plane.

Part of what I love about the sky is just the significant indescribable way that it makes me feel. When I look up into the never ending blue that runs as far as I can see with a speck of white every now and then, I just want to be part of it. The very same sky that my father, grandfather and millions of other people have looked up at throughout history I’m looking at now. I can imagine great people of the past like Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein looking up at the sky and when I look up at the sky I can almost feel the infinite wisdom it’s hiding behind its clouds.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve constantly strived to be as close to the sky. I’ve done everything from rock climbing to pole vaulting, which was as close as I could come to merging myself and the sky. Anything I could do to strengthen the bond between myself and that sky, I would do. I can’t explain it, but I feel so drawn to the sky. It’s like we’re old friends reuniting after an age apart. That’s what makes it so miraculous; there is no exact reason, no story behind it I have for my entire life just wanted to be part of it or at least as close to it as I can. My love for the sky has even begun to affect my life and my hopes for the future.

All of the people in my family thought that I’d grow out of my infatuation with the sky. They thought my constant skyward ambitions were nothing more than “going through a phase”, but when I started pole vaulting over ten feet and considered pursuing a career as a pilot they realized how truly enthralled I was with it. The sky wasn’t just a hobby I pursued in my spare time; it was an immense part of my life that affects me to this day.

I remember my first day of track in seventh grade. I was running around the track sneaking an upward glance at the sky whenever I’d come around a curve just trying to decide what field event I would take part in. it was a battle in my mind between high jump and long jump until I saw an eighth grader sprinting towards a blue mat then explode off of a pole in to the sky. The striking blue sky. At that precise moment I knew what lay ahead of me it wouldn’t be long jump or even the high jump it would be pole vaulting. I was thrilled at the aspect of being hurled in the sky and after my first attempt clearing about a foot I realized it would take a bit of work. So two years and 10 feet later I watch the sky fly by underneath me and finally feel like part of it. I’m sailing threw the sky (and over a bar) like a smaller clumsier cloud, then coming back to earth and landing with complete astonishment and joy.

Now, I am still pole vaulting and loving every second of it and although my career ambitions have fluctuated somewhat, I still have a desire to be near the sky and take every chance and opportunity in which I can become closer.

Probably what I love more than anything else is if I ever begin to lose sight of where I’m taking my life, I can still go outside and stare at the sky.