I Belive the Truth

Nick - Ann Arbor, Michigan

I believe in truth. I believe that the good people in the world deserve more than the papers and the news tell us. The truth is out there and it is waiting for us to find it. In Ann Arbor we have a couple papers. We have the Ann Arbor news and the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. Of all these the most read in Ann Arbor is the Ann Arbor News. In this past month I saw some strange front-page article. One of these was “Lost puppy finally found”. Another was “Mother and Son Reunited after long separation. Not that I’m not happy for the puppy and it’s owner and the mother and son but this is not what I want on the front page of my local newspaper. After reading these articles I flip to the world news section of the paper. About half the page is filled with world news. Most of these articles had titles such as “Oil spill in Australia kills 3” Or Beijing prepares for the 2008 Olympics”. This is not what I am looking for in this section. I’m seeking the truth about our world. As I look closely I find the one part of the paper I am looking for. A 2 paragraph long section on war describes another car bombing.

We are not being given the truth here. It is not only the papers but also the news. When we flip on the T.V to find out the situation in Iraq, instead we get “A new cure for obesity!” Or “What video games doing to your children!” I have yet to turn on the television and hear “The situation in Iraq is…” on a local news station. I believe that we deserve more that. I don’t know if the government is not giving the papers any information or if the papers just don’t want us to know what’s going on, but we aren’t getting the whole truth.

I believe that the truth is still waiting for someone to make it known. If I ever start a local newspaper, the front cover article will not be about the lost puppy or the feel good story about the mother and son. It will be about the local soldiers dying for us every day. It will be about the innocent civilians brutally being killed. It will be about the loved ones being lost, for these things are the truth. They are the truth that we are not receiving. I believe that we need this truth.