Heroes

Jack - Seattle, Washington

Who’s a hero in your life? This is a question my parents and teachers have asked me sometimes. I didn’t know for a while. When I was little, I used to say “Scooby Doo!” Scooby was my favorite cartoon character and he always saved the day. He constantly stood by his friends, even when he was scared. When I grew up though, I really thought about the question. Scooby Doo is awesome and all, but can a cartoon character really be a hero? I decided that heroes are people or animals that stand up to somebody or something harmful even if it’s powerful or popular. A hero can be brave by fighting someone outside, or by fighting something within themselves. I believe that there is always someone out in the world standing up for you or showing you how to stand up for yourself, even though you might not know it.

Heroes that I’ve witnessed are my friends and family. They’ve stood up for me against bullies at my school, helped me sort out my problems, and always are by my side. One time I was speaking out loud to my class for a science project about mosquitoes. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see three girls laughing at me. After I finished speaking, my friend told the girls to stop making fun of me, and the amazing thing is that they did.

People can have heroes in their lives without knowing it. I was in a class with one of my friends with three other girls that kept making fun of my friend. I told them after class to stop, and they did. My friend never knew I had told them to stop making fun of him, and he kept wondering what was wrong with them because they weren’t making fun of him anymore. When some people are making fun of me and the next day they just stop, I guess my friends had talked to them. This is a heroic thing.

Heroes can also be people or animals that show you how to be brave. I still have an animal hero. He’s my grandparents’ dog, a golden retriever named Alex. Alex has big brown eyes, long ears, a huge tongue that sticks out all the time, and only three legs. He had one leg amputated because he has bone cancer. He still loves playing ball and is always happy to see me even when he’s had chemotherapy or had to go to the vet’s. He’s my hero because he’s still enjoying life even though he has only three legs and is going to die from the cancer that’s spread to his lungs. That’s a heroic thing.

I believe that there are many heroes in everyone’s life: friends, family, and pets. Some heroes protect and stand up for you without hesitation and reluctance. Other heroes can show you how to do this yourself. This I believe.