Growing Up.

Kayla - Frankfort, Kentucky

I believe that it is time for me to grow-up. As my junior year comes to an end I am realizing the things I have been taking for granted these past few years-places in my hometown I never knew existed, foods I had never tried, people who turned out to be not quite as bad as I had thought, and just how dependent I am on the comforts of life. I am a strict comfort-zone type of person, and I most definitely hate change; and this is where growing up comes into play. With each day, I am facing more and more changes which are forcing me to grow up and take a peek outside of my comfort zone.

Living in the same place for seventeen years causes you to become very familiar with your surroundings. I am beginning to realize that these surroundings aren’t going to be the same ones I will have a year from now. I will be an adult, living on my own and making my own decisions, and that, to me, is extremely scary. Although I think I know what I want for my future, there is always room left for new options. I have watched a close friend struggle repeatedly with upcoming college decisions. At the beginning of the semester she knew exactly what she wanted to do-Sports Management at the University of Evansville. But now, just two weeks away from graduation, she has changed her mind. As I see her struggle and stress over scholarships, tuition costs, campus location, and career choices, I understand that I could be in the same situation just twelve months from now.

So I have come to the conclusion that I have to become more open-minded, and learn to start becoming self-reliant. Maturing is a part of life, and I have reached the point where taking the next step forward is crucial. This I believe I need to grow-up.