The Worlds Game

Grant - Oak Park, Illinois

I believe in soccer. You may not think that soccer is the best thing that a person could believe nor could a person believe in a sport that has to do with kicking a rubber ball around for 90 minutes, and is directly associated with hooligans. But the game of soccer can be a savior.

The world today is racist, judgmental, and full of stereotypes. Everywhere in the world experiences it on all different levels and it is quite disturbing. I am a high school student at a very diverse high school just outside of Chicago and racist statements and stereotypes are something that I witness everyday. I hate to say it but participate it in everyday too. Attitudes need to change and a good start is on an individual basis, however that is not enough. Change also needs to occur on a world wide scale as well. To do this I believe that one single, round, divine object can help stop racism in the world. Soccer is the world’s game, with out a question. It is played everywhere and the main stage is represented with all different colors, shape and sizes; stretching from all corner of the globe. It is one thing almost everyone in the world has in common. Not even baseball or the Olympic Games can do this.

Since soccer is among all walks of life, it is the one common event that brings all those walks to life together; especially during FIFA’s World Cup that takes place every four years in different parts of the world. It brings 32 teams from all over the world; from Japan to Togo to Trinidad and Tobago to European power houses. During this time countries come together, unite as one to support their favorite team or country and even countries that are in midst of a civil war will stop the fighting while their team in on the national stage.

If just a ball and a group of men who are consider hero’s can stop war for time being, they can lead by example to end prejudice and racism. Soccer is everyone’s game; boys and girl and men and women, old and young, fit and flabby kick a ball and play by all the same rules all over the world, night and day, in stadiums and on the streets, in good weather and bad. I believe it is possible for a simple ball and game to bring people together to level the playing field of the world.