Choose and Regret

Frank - Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

Throughout my high school career, I have spent my time dabbling in a number of activities and subjects, varsity sports, business clubs, science competitions, volunteer work, music, paid employment, sciences, mathematics, history, English, and many others. Having such a diverse list of activities for my resume, it’s a wonder how I have managed to be successful in high school. However, because of my varied interests, I have been marked as undedicated and never reaching my full potential in classes, sports, and music, some of my more time-consuming activities. In the long run, I feel that my experiences have taught me to keep my options open. This is where my core belief steps in. I believe that the most successful of people are those that are able to delay there decision until they are absolutely sure of what their plans actually are in their life.

So what will I do in college? For the longest time, I could not even chose which college I wanted to attend, which major I wanted to pursue, which extra-curricular activities I should continue in college. After April 1, 2008, I knew where I was accepted and where I had any inclination in going to. For a full month, I debated between two different colleges and in completely different geographical locations in the U.S., where I would be following two different career paths. In the end, I choose a career path where I felt I would be successful. Where I am going, I will have to work my absolute hardest and remain dedicated to my eventual cause, but this time, in college, I feel I will be ready. My experiences and the variety of activities I participated in during high school have taught me to keep my mind open for new things and venture any path on a whim. Who knows, I might even try-out for baseball at Johns Hopkins University, despite my heavy schedule with Biomedical Engineering. Who knows, I might even change career paths yet again. I believe in having an open mind to all things.