I am Myself and Only Me

Kisira - Seattle, Washington
Themes: freedom

I grew up in a very freedom inspired household. My parents wanted to make sure that I had enough freedom to express my self. Freedom to my family means I could wear what I wanted to, go where I wanted to, with whoever I pleased and over all express my self in my own way. As I grew older these rules stayed the same, and of course within reason.

I am now thirteen old. I believe in self-expression through what you wear and how you act, however my grandparents believe in a very different life style.

When I was little I was planned to be the only child of my parents and this is still true. Since I’m the only child, I am mostly the center of my families attention, including my grandparents. My dad, mom and me traveled a lot after I was born, so my grandparents opinion on how I should grow up had very little say on how I did grow up for my toddler years. In these two to four years I was away from the clutch of my grandparents I grew a perspective on life and how I would express myself in it. My perspective was and still is different then my parents, such as my sense of style, taste in books, and friends.

When I got older, I stopped moving so much and settled in Seattle and my new private school, paid by my grandparents. I started spending more time with my grandparents in this time, this meant more arguments with them on what I should wear, who I should hang out with, and what I should read. Now, don’t get me wrong my grandparents are generous people, and have always helped me and my dad during the hard times when he broke up with my mom and step mom; I just heavily disagree with their opinions on life.

One time, I was reading this book I had borrowed from the library about the Street-Style in Japan, which was mostly gothic. My grandpa saw me reading this book when he picked me up after school, with a disturbed face on. When I was in the car, a long way from the school pick up, he told me that I couldn’t read the book anymore because it was “junk.” I disagreed, with him and made sure that I told him my thoughts, on our ride to his house. He ended up winning the argument, as he usually does by hitting me with the quote “you are being disrespectful” or my favorite “I don’t want to hear it!”

.Another example of my grandparents not allowing my self-expression is that, I can’t wear dark green jackets, because it is considered “grunge” to my grandpa and grandma.

I believe in self expression, whether it be through how you act, hang with, or wear. How you present yourself to other people should be up to you. This I believe.