Interpretation…

Ellen - Seattle, Washington

Interpretation is key. Whether how carelessly or thoughtfully things are spoken, it is ultimately up to the listener to understand the statement. However strong a declaration, or weak a thought, there is no meaning but to the person who hears or reads it. Interpretation? There is no substitute. This, I believe.

There is no replacement for the freedom of interpretation. Restriction of thought is useless, as no one can stop the subconscious contemplation of the brain, unless the person in question is truly ignorant of the subject. Opinions may be conflicting, but this is the way of life. New views must be taken into question in order to broaden your personal horizon. Thoughts can easily be misunderstood, but that once again leads back into the opportunity of comprehension.

From the time I was little, I noticed that people never seemed to fully understand what I was telling them. Or, I could not tell what they had wanted to hear as a response. Their words could mean more to me then they did them, or vice versa. I remember a moment when I was younger, about eight or so, and I was sitting in class. A guest had come into the classroom and was showing us a piece of art. They were describing the picture in a way that I couldn’t see at all. It was completely unclear to me, but they spoke as if it made perfect sense. All throughout the class time, I just sat there, arguing with myself in my head. By the end of the period, I was not only infuriated at the speaker, but at myself, whom I could not bend to agree with them. At that time, the beginning of my appreciation for interpretation had started to sink in. For the remainder of that year, and the years to come, I noted smaller things about people more so than I had before. It occurred to me that no one would ever be exactly eye to eye. There was bound to be at least a small amount of difference. No matter how much they truly understood me, they were not exactly the same. And in the end, that was fine. I had accepted the fact that variation in thoughts were there, but that they could teach you more than you would learn otherwise.

Reading. Writing. Visual art. Music. You can hear or see as many things as you like, but that doesn’t mean that another person will agree. But there is nothing wrong with that. No one should submit to the restraint of ‘normal’. But that’s just what I think. You can take it anyway you like. Maybe what I said didn’t make an ounce of sense. Maybe it just clicked. Interpretation in key. This, I believe.