Being ‘In the Moment’

Daniel - Seattle, Washington

“The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then don’t grasp at the stars, but do life’s plan, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.”- Robert Louis Stevenson

I believe in being in the moment. Whether I’m just walking around the house or on a trip around the world, I always try to enjoy where I am and not think things like, “I wish I could play video games at home right now.”

I’ve recently returned from a two week trip to France with a few of my friends to learn French. My music teacher, was always lecturing us on how we should always be ’in the moment.’ I’ve certainly seen that it’s worth it to be in the moment. I am probably never going to go on a trip like that with the same people again. If I had just wanted to go to Notre Dame and that’s it, then I would have only remembered when I finally went up it and that’s it. I went to Europe with my family when I was younger. There are bits and pieces that I don’t remember because I was tired and didn’t pay attention to any of the museums and now I regret that, because I now appreciate the opportunity.

Everyday there are things that I may not realize are important to me, but I only realize that when their gone. I realized how beautiful it is in Seattle in the spring when I got back from France. I realized it because I was on an ugly gray plane for nine and a half hours. I’ve come to appreciate little things like a family dinner, with my dad always telling us about the latest science news and other things like how my dog, Atticus, wags his tail. If I just think of these things as what always happens, then one day, I’ll go to college and really miss my dog or my mom’s cooking.

Whenever it’s summer, I always know that it’s going to go by fast. If people just enjoyed it and tried not to cram in everything they could, then they would most likely have a more memorable summer. I’ve had a couple amazing summers that I was just enjoying myself and being in the moment, not thinking about what I want to do next. I didn’t go on any foreign vacations or cruises, but I had a good time doing things like, video games, swimming, bikeriding, computergames, and sports with my friends, and I had a great time being in the moment the whole time.

I believe in appreciating my surroundings. Whether it’s family dinners with my mom’s cooking or the view of Paris from the top of Notre Dame, I’m pretty lucky to be there so I might as well appreciate it.