Money and Happiness

Alex - Seattle, Washington

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “Money can’t buy happiness.” However, that’s just an overused way to say that material goods won’t give you a happy life. I believe that money can buy happiness. Temporary happiness. I don’t think it’s far fetched to say that when you buy something that turns you on, you’ll be happy. I just don’t think that that happiness will last a lifetime.

When I think of what makes me happy, I think of things that I have to pay for. I think of good food, or a movie in theatres. What I realize though, is that that happiness rarely lasts more than the day itself. Money can buy a huge house, but once it’s bought it’ll get boring quickly. I can spend hundreds on a new iPod, and another several hundred on music. Music makes me happier than most things, but at the end of the day my life hasn’t changed. I’ll await a game release for months and months, and it’ll control my life the first week or two it’s out, but soon after I’m not as pulled into playing it.

While money can buy me happiness, it won’t ever buy me a sustainable happiness. Happiness is family, relationships, and things that “money can’t buy”. That sounds like a total cliché. However, clichés are commonly true.

I’m not saying that we should begin to strive for cost-free happiness only. I love the joy of buying things and enjoying things to their full potential. When I’m finished, I’m burnt out on the album or I finished the game, I can buy a new one and get the same result. This, paired with a good social life and good health, provides a two-pronged happy life.

At the end of the day, the saying “Money can’t buy happiness” isn’t true. Ask anyone, they’ll say that something they buy will give them happiness. Whether it’s a vacation, or just a meal, money is needed for a happy life.

I believe that money can buy happiness. This belief is contradictory to an overused saying, but it’s simply true. I think it’s true for everyone, not just me, that it’s gratifying to enjoy something that costs money. However, this happiness and gratification won’t last a lifetime. It takes the free things to make a truly happy life.