Some say chance, while some believe otherwise

Sarah - El Paso, Texas
Themes: purpose

From the very start of this essay, I knew exactly what I was going to write about. How? I have no flippin idea. Which brings me to my point. For some reason, I instantly had this vision mapped out of what the theme in my essay would be. So I began writing it out. Luckily half way through, my hand stopped writing, and I only had half an essay to show for it. This got me to thinkin… Why can’t I write this if I already know what I’m writing about? Well, I decided to look at the situation from a different perspective. Just like I had for some reason already known what I was going to write about, it for some reason came to me. This is my story:

I woke up that morning with a burden on my shoulder and a discouraged attitude from the get-go. Well, it happened to be Sunday; a day that people tend to go to church. I thought, “There’s no way I’m going to church like this, plus I’m already running late.” Just every little thing was getting to me that morning. So I began thinking, which I tend to do often. For some reason, I was somehow persuaded, in a sense, to go to church. I thought, “OK, I’ll go.” But still being in the dumps as much as I was, I planned that there was no way I’d even pay attention, even if I did agree to go. So I said to myself, “I really don’t need the pastor “preaching” to me. As much as that is his job, that’s really just the last thing I need right now. So I went to church.

Somehow, I made it exactly on cue; not one minute to spare. I walked in, avoiding people’s eyes, just wanting to simply get in and get out. The first song began, and I was immediately tuned out. Blah blah blah was all I heard. “Why did I even come,” I argued with myself. We were ushered to sit down to listen to announcements. There was one thing I heard that literally made my mouth drop. I guess our usual pastor decided to take a week off and our old pastor was filling in. He came onstage and greeted us with the most casual ‘good morning’ if I ever heard one. Never, in all the days he used to teach at that church, has he been so nonchalant. Astonished, I listened to his sermon, allowing no word to escape my memory. This guy was speaking to me. He knew exactly what I needed and delivered it to the point where tears rolled down my face.

I look back and think, how in the world did that happen and how in the world am I writing this essay? The only answer I have, and with absolutely no doubt in my mind, is that everything happens for a reason.