The Beauty of Everything

Catherine - Spokane, Washington

I believe in the beauty of everything.

When I was young, we discovered that I had rapidly deteriorating vision. My mother discovered it when we were looking across a normal-sized front yard at the three-year-old son of the friends we were visiting, and I asked in astonishment, “Why is Gabriel wearing pink?” It turned out it was a pair of red-and-white striped pajamas, and a week later, I had glasses.

An entire new world was opened to me. Before the age of seven, I knew intellectually that trees had individual leaves. We had studied them at school by ironing them between sheets of wax paper. But I had never experienced feeling the wind blow across my face and then seeing that same wind make the individual leaves on the trees across the street all dance their own dance. It was then that I became fascinated by the beauty in the nature in my own neighborhood.

I grew up close to a rainforest, so there were lots of different kinds of trees, animals, insects, grasses, rocks, and flowers for me to study. For my eighth birthday, I was given a mini microscope and several slides. It’s difficult to imagine how astonishingly beautiful a flower petal is when examined closely until you try. Or a blade of grass. Or a pine needle. Have you ever watched a field of wheat waltz to the tune of the wind blowing? Or sat and listened to the rhythm of the ocean waves chasing each other to shore? Picked up a fallen pine cone and marveled at the intricate patterns it contains?

One of my favorite things to do is to walk through a forest – any forest – while it’s raining, especially in the spring. The sound of the rain dripping through the leaves, the green smell of the trees drinking it in, and the peaceful feeling of knowing that you are likely the only one around to experience it.

People, too. Every person has their own way of walking, their own voice, their own thoughts, and their own beliefs. Every person has their own beauty, if they let it show.

My eyesight is still deteriorating, though thankfully it has slowed quite a bit. Without my glasses, I am legally blind in both eyes. With them, I spend as much time as possible looking at the beauty all around me, making sure that I will be able to remember everything if my vision is ever taken away, and being thankful that I have the belief that has become the core of my life

Everything has its own pattern, and all of them are beautiful.