Positivity

Jamie - Ambler, Pennsylvania
Themes: hope

Believing is a hard thing to do in a world that is as dim and grim as the news portrays for me every day. Belief is something for the very religious and the very young. I am neither of those things, but I continue to believe in optimism, despite my rather pessimistic introduction. Optimism is the tendency to expect a favorable outcome or to dwell on hopeful aspects. A positive outlook on life is the key to a happy life. People who keep their heads held high, live longer, and have a better quality of life. This idea was given birth after many studies, including the August 2002 research study of Mayo Clinic Proceedings. The study showed that people, who had a gloomier outlook on their lives, actually lived for shorter periods of time. I believe that is why my great grandfather, who was a smoking drinking Irish man for the entirety of his life, lived well into his 90’s. People always talk about what a good natured, and pleasant man he was. I also believe in optimism because of my father. My mother and father married very quickly after they met, with out realizing that they were complete opposites. My mother with the constant furrowed brow, worrying about the ultimate doom of the Earth, in steep contrast to my father laughing jovially at his desk with a smile gracing his large visage. When considering my parents I wonder what is better: the frigidly perfect pessimist or the clumsy oafish optimist. Maybe I have more of my mother’s pessimism in me than I would like, but I choose optimism. Today I think the most frequent advice I give is to think positively. Doubting yourself will only cause you to fail, hating yourself will only cause you to die, and looking at the world through a frown will only distort the beauty that the world holds. So yes, I choose optimism, and I plan to live a long successful life because of it.