Britany - Genesee, Idaho

Heroes are the kind of people we look up to, the kind of people who protect us, the kind of people who we consider amazing. Superman, Spiderman, and Batman are all heroes because they have super powers. The heroes I believe in don’t have to have x-ray vision, the power of telekinesis, or the ability to melt anything with their eyes. The people who make life worth living are my heroes because they have the power of strength and courage. They are your average, everyday people who make imperfections look perfect, and make ordinary look extraordinary.

Everyday, troops in Iraq are putting their lives in danger just to keep their families safe back at home in the United States. Troops are ordinary, everyday people making the ordinary look extraordinary. Troops are people who are throwing themselves on the ground to just barely get out of the way of gunfire, people who are driving through cities that have high numbers of suicide bombings, people who are across seas dying for their country and what they believe in the most, the people who we see on the media telling their families how much they love and miss them. In the United States we have the freedom of speech, the feeling of safety at night when we go to bed, and the hope of a better tomorrow because of our troops, our heroes, who are fighting to keep things the way they are for us here back at home.

The troops who make it back home from the war alive are the lucky ones that we GET a chance to thank and smile at. Unfortunately, there are millions of troops who won’t ever make it home alive, won’t get to hug their families, and won’t ever get the chance to watch their children grow up to become just like them. Those are the troops who we don’t get to thank because they are the ones who make America what it is today.

Our troops are the kinds of heroes who use themselves as their superpowers. They use their courage, strength, intelligence, and knowledge to protect themselves, their families, and their country. There are so many troops in Iraq, and I have no idea who they are, and that’s why they are my heroes. They are putting their lives on the line for the people they have never met, and probably never will meet. They aren’t selfish or conceited. I believe that heroes do exist. I believe that if it weren’t for heroes, we wouldn’t be nearly as happy as we are today. Without heroes, we would end up like a poor, dying 3rd world country. I believe that our troops are the true heroes, and make imperfections look perfect, and make ordinary look extraordinary.