You Are a Failure as my Child! [and no, I’m not talking to you]

Morgan - Jacobus, Pennsylvania
Themes: children

“No! Do it over again! You aren’t trying! No, you’re not doing it right! Ugh! You’re a failure!” Can you believe that some adults talk to children this way? Well, the sad truth is that they do. Then, the kids feel discouraged and don’t try at all. Is this the way that the new generation should be influenced, being criticized for their every move? I certainly don’t think so. I believe that young people need models, not critics.

So, the other day, I was flipping through channels on TV, and I stumbled across this show called “I Know My Kid’s a Star.” Now you may think that this is just your average, harmless reality show. Actually, you’d be surprised how much the moms on that show criticize their children aren’t children trying and say that they are failures. I think this is a perfect example of “young people need models not critics” because the kids on that show should not be judged, but actually taught how to be stars if they want their careers to go anywhere.

Speaking of child stars, I’ve noticed that many of them grow up to be messed up. Now, you might be wondering why that is, and I have a pretty good theory. I think that is because they were judged so much, so early on in their lives. If you are constantly focusing on the negatives, you are most likely not going to have a good life. If you are influenced positively when you are growing up, you’re most likely going to have a successful adulthood. I believe that when you are young, you need to be inspired, instead of criticized.

I also believe that when a child is criticized, he or she loses confidence. Think about it. Would you feel like you were on top of the world if someone just told you that your performance was horrible and you didn’t try? When a child is criticized, it’s like trying to make a brilliant sculpture for ten years, and then when you try to put it on the market, they say that it’s not good enough. It also really annoys me when young people try their hardest on a project or test and then the teacher hands them back a paper with a big fat “F” on it. I don’t think this is right. It makes kids feel discouraged and not try in school.

I think that young people do need role models. Role models inspire children. If a child has a role model, then they will be encouraged to follow in the footsteps of that person. They will try their hardest if they are influenced positively, and then they will always try a little bit harder and end up with a good lifestyle.

I believe that children don’t need judges, but models. Role models inspire children. They need to be influenced positively so that they can grow up to succeed, instead of wasting their lives cooped up in a jail cell. They need to be encouraged to learn instead of being told what they are doing wrong. This I believe.