The Power of Love

Kelsey - Genesee, Idaho
Themes: love

I believe in the power of love. To me loving someone is always being truthful and sharing that love everyday. I grew up in a home that was never quite perfect. Growing up my father never told me he loved me and my parents always fought. My sister and I fought constantly also. My family struggled for years because of the lack of love and honesty in our home.

The summer before my senior year in high school my life was torn apart. I can still remember that night like it was yesterday. I had just gotten home from a summer camp and I was lying in my bed trying to drown out the screams. I couldn’t, so I called my friend Justin and tried to ignore it, but there was nothing I could do. I had heard my parents fight so many times like this before, but there was something different this time. Then around 3 am a door slammed and my mom entered my room and said “I’m leaving”. My whole body felt numb and cold. I was too scared to go with her because I felt like if I left then I was leaving all that I had ever known, and so all I could say was “ok, I love you”.

My mom moved out and I decided to go with her. My life was flipped so fast and everything I had ever known in life was broken, along with my dad’s heart. I was trying to adjust to a new way of life while heading into “the best year of my high school career.” There were a few bumps along the way with money and I was in a car crash in which my car rolled two times. Despite my friends and family around me after this I still felt alone, like nobody understood my situation.

A few months after my car crash, when I turned 18 I decided that I wanted a tattoo, but the problem was I had no idea what I wanted to get. I have never been a religious person so it was strange to me that I picked my tattoo from the bible. I picked out the words from Corinthians 13.4 that meant the most to me and this is how my tattoo reads:

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it keeps no record of wrongs.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes.

Love Never Fails.

I don’t wish for people to hear my story and pity me, but I do wish for my readers to learn from me. I am human and sometimes say things that I regret. You never know when someone will leave this earth and it crushes me to know that people leave this earth feeling unloved. Even when you feel that your life has hit rock bottom, just remember that there is always someone who loves you, and there is always someone who cares because Love Never Fails.