I believe music and nature heal

Allison - Lampeter, Pennsylvania

I believe nature and music heal.

Some days, after a hard day at school, a tough friend situation, or even if I just feel down in the dumps, there is something that I am always tempted to do: turn on the radio, play a CD, or listen to my iPod. Throughout my life when there have been times that I felt like I wanted to run from everything, just get away, I play some music and it has been the escape I needed. When I was a child, my parents told me that when I would get fussy, they would take me outside and let me cool down. Now, I think old habits have been brought over to my present life.

Whenever I feel stressed, upset, miserable even, I grab some music and take a walk. There is something refreshing and therapeutic about being outside. On a nice warm day, a cool, gentle wind blowing and that fresh smell of spring ripe in the air, I crave the outdoors. It might be the only thing that creeps deep inside of me and really makes me feel happy.

Which brings me back to music. The right song, at the right time is inspiring; it grabs your soul and sets it free. When I am upset at life, I rock out to some Blink 182, Green Day, Jimmy Eat World, Muse, My Chemical Romance, The Killers and I feel good again. When I am mellow and just feel like playing something to match my mood, The Fray, Keane, Backstreet Boys, Phil Collins and The Cranberries start running through my head. Sometimes I am in the mood for some old school and I whip out The Beatles, The Monkees, Journey; each artist, each song, inspires and influences a different part of me.

I have been through some tough situations and a lot of down moments, but something about music—the beat, the lyrics, the voice, the piano, the guitar, the drums, the combination—it all finds that crack in my composure and seals it up. Something about nature: the smell, the “wind in my hair,” the beauty, the immenseness of it all; heals me, comforts me when I need comforting the most. I truly believe nature and music heal completely. The songs and locations are different for every person, but it helps; it heals.