Hope for Darfur

Diane - Lampeter, Pennsylvania

I believe that there is no easy way to end all of this.

Every day, hundreds of innocent people die in Darfur. They are dying of a war: a war against religion, against race, against a hatred towards others. Boys who’ve never held a gun are being forced into enemy militias, forced to kill their friends and family. Little girls leave their refugee camps to find water, usually 5-10 miles away, risking being caught by the enemy militia called the Jangaweed. The militia men rape them, getting some of the girls pregnant so that the next generation will be only Janjaweed.

Janjaweed. Devil on Horseback.

Secretly being funded by the Sudanese government. A government who discriminates against their native Africans, people who have lived in Sudan for generations. These people live off the land.

Herding.

Farming.

Now they are being starved by the Sudanese government.

Genocide.

A systematic method of harming a specific group. Leaders during World War 2 promised the world that another “Holocaust” would never happen again. Safeguards were supposed to be put in place to prevent another Holocaust.

Then there was Rwanda.

Conflict in the Darfur region of Sudan has been around for decades, but fully began to escalate in 2003. The Arab based Sudanese people were being forced into land occupied by the Native African based Sudanese because of the extreme lack of resources, and fighting in the poor desert country has since led to war. 400,000 native Africans were murdered because of their background by the government who was supposed to protect them, and 1.2 million people lost their homes in a country their families lived in for centuries. Bodies of the fallen have become the reminder of reality scattered across the landscape.

Corruption and violence are forever instilled in a young child’s heart.

Thousands of families had fled Darfur for refuge in Chad, only to find overcrowded refugee camps with no food, water, or shelter. Disease kills the only survivors of a burned down village. Their only hope are the white planes sent by the United Nations. Planes that carry much needed medical personnel, food, and other necessities are much appreciated by the refugees, and many line up outside as they fly overhead and cheer. The Janjaweed caught on quickly. They paint their planes white now too.

Instead of food, they drop a bomb.

Instantly stealing the lives of dozens.

I believe that there is no easy way to end this.

China is buying oil from Sudan, and the money earned from this purchase is going right to the Sudanese government. The Sudanese government then uses that money to fund the Janjaweed.

Thousands of people dying over oil.

Americans are investing millions of dollars in companies. J.P. Morgan Chase, Vanguard, Capital Group, American Funds ALL invest in PetroChina. PetroChina is making all of its money from an oil field located…in Sudan. Your investments could be KILLING people.

America spends millions of dollars publicizing the presidential candidates. Television and radio commercials are all about the campaign trail. Why? If we publicized the situation in Darfur half as much as we publicize the political candidates, the situation would be …nonexistent.

I believe that this is more than just a “civil war”. United Nations: step it up. There is a genocide happening right now in Sudan. America: wake up. As one of the richest countries in the world, we do little to nothing to help the innocent lives being lost every day. Put an end to the killing, and

Save Darfur.

There may not be an easy way to end this…

But I believe there is hope.