Respect for our Diversified America

Katie - Vista, California

Respect for our Diversified America

Today, we live in a world where we witness a multitude of protests that take place where one can express hate and/or disagreement in ways of living, races, religion, etc. In a country filled with endless opportunities, one cannot stand in the way of minorities, gays, and various religions from going against the normal, or going against conformity.

I believe in respect for our diversified America

It is essential for humanity to have its differences. If the world were filled with the same ideas, one language, etc, we would dull ourselves with monotony. It is important to respect some aspects in others that may make us uncomfortable. Everyone cannot look like each other, eat the same food, love the same way and we should accept that.

As a child, I grew up with parents who migrated from Mexico in order to avoid suffering from poverty, malnutrition, and an unstable income. As a kid, I never realized the racial slurs thrown at my parents or the inequality that they faced. As I began to grow up, I realized how violence and racism did exist in a world that I never thought it would.

For the past two years, my dad has been a part time pizza delivery driver and I cannot fathom those days he arrives in discontent and discusses the ways he is disrespect…how some people decide to slam the door shut on him, or some decide to rob him, or even point a gun to his head. As I hear these unfortunate remarks, it hurts and bothers me at the same time to know that some people decide to outwit a minority just trying to do his job.

My mother has owned a housecleaning business for fifteen years and likewise has experienced discrimination and a few people that take advantage of her deficiency of the English language. As I talked to her about how she feels she has been the most disrespected, she mentioned that people go as far as accusing her of stealing money and other valuables.

I guess it’s difficult to witness my parents suffer from not only obtaining a stable job to maintain our family, yet also those that allow their differences to hinder a decent relationship. I begin to ponder on why some people decide simply can’t accept my parent’s differences, or homosexuals, and the array of religions. I realize it can be difficult to accept one another’s differences due to religion, culture, or morals; but if we can only give the respect to those that differ from our customs, the world wouldn’t be saturated with violence, protests, and discrimination.

My senior year in high school, I was inspired to begin a brand new club for Latinos. I was driven to do this because on campus there was not a club that focused in an environment where Latinos could identify themselves, make a difference in the community, and also learn about our culture’s history. After a year of experiment, I realized that the outcome showered me with satisfaction because I learned how other Latinos felt about discrimination and disrespect in our race. We centered the club on the idea of stopping the stereotypes, discrimination, and disrespect in our community. We made posters for an elementary school in our city that encouraged accepting the differences in others and the ways that humans can feel when they feel disrespected, etc. In hopes of making a difference in their early years and making them realize the unjust issues in the world, we posted the posters at their schools. Overall, in my senior year I truly felt that I did leave a legacy for not only Hispanics to look upon, but also for other races to realize that with the unification of cultures, a group can preserve culture and share it with the world in hopes of respecting it.

When I think of respect I keep in mind the consideration one should have in others, just taking one second in our lives to acknowledge someone’s differences and respect not instigate, or discriminate. As my parents have experienced disrespect due to their ethnicity, I ironically have not as much, yet I deeply feel for those who undergo fear to live a normal day in our country. Although our own conformities may set us apart from others, I believe that we should embrace each other’s differences, to allow America as a whole to be diversified. As a fact, change is inevitable in one anothers’ ways of how we were brought to the world. In giving respect to others, we can feed them with at least a miniscule amount of comfort.