I Believe I Would Be Great At It

Ruth - N Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: love

I am twenty eight years old and I have never been in love. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a Drew Barrymore movie; I love and I am loved. I am truly lucky in that I have a great family and an awesome set of friends. I love them and they love me. No matter what is going on in all of our busy lives, I never really doubt that.

However, that kind of love, as powerful and important as it is, is not the kind of love I’m talking about. I’m talking about: you complete me, gift of the magi, he “knows the worst thing about me and it’s ok,” we can sit in total silence for hours at a time and be completely comfortable, two people inspiring each other to be better people simply by being themselves kind of love. This is what I mean by being in love. I have never been in love but I believe that I would be great at it.

I want romance and spontaneity and all of that but what I want even more is the casual every day intimacy. That is what I most look forward to. I want to know who I’m going to have breakfast, and probably dinner, with on March 2nd, 2015. I want to know that no matter how big a fight we get in or how much I mess up, it’ll be ok. I might have to ask myself when I’ll be forgiven but never if I’ll be forgiven.

I will unabashedly live and die for this person. I will throw whatever pride or latent feminism I have in me out the window and I will smile doing it. I will do as much as I possibly can to make him happy and he will do the same for me. We will have unspoken contests in who can do more for the other person and we will both win.

I am sure this sounds completely naive and unsustainable to a lot of people and that’s ok because there are many types of love. This just happens to be the type for me. This is the type I want and deserve and this is the type I believe in.