I believe in always appreciating what I’m given in life

Felicia - Vista, California
Themes: gratitude

I believe to always appreciate what I’m given in life.

I have always been very fortunate in my life, but as I have started to learn more about the world and the current state of people living around it, I am saddened to hear that a lot of people are living below the poverty line. I remember learning about different ways of living, especially for people in third world countries, from Chagala, my freshman world history teacher. While I had never before that year thought of how living was around the globe, I suddenly became aware of the many amazing things I had right in front of me like a supportive family, three meals a day, and a free education, that many people in different countries were lacking. This realization hit me hard, and has developed a larger appreciation for what my family has provided for me and the opportunities I am given in the United States. I realize that many people don’t have the rights or privileges that I am given, just by being a citizen.

By coming to appreciate what my country has to offer me, I have also developed a better appreciation from my family. I am so thankful to have a family that supports whatever endeavors that I choose to take on in life and also to have people that push me to succeed and just be there for me.

As this year is coming to an end, I have also come to appreciate my closest friends and what they have taught me about life. I realize that most of my group will be going in different directions and making new friends in the fall, but I am quickly realizing that these people that I have spent so much time with over the last four years have been there for me throughout the good and the bad. They have listened to me when I just needed to talk and joked around with me until my stomach hurt.

I believe it is also important to embrace the not so perfect moments of life and appreciate them because these are the moments that truly define who you are. By appreciating what I learn from failure and little struggles, I am able to grow as a human.

Truly, by appreciating all aspects of life, although it is hard at times, is always rewarding and helps me to remember what is important in life.