Water, Water Everywhere

Laney - Burnsville, North Carolina
Themes: nature

I believe in water. Oceans, lakes, rivers, creeks, pools, rain, even puddles …I believe in water. Through the tangle of confusion and stress in my life, water gives me peace. I’m pretty sure I was a fish in another life.

I love all forms of water, but I love them for different reasons. I’ve always found myself drawn to the beach. Don’t get me wrong; I love the mountains that surround me. They will always been my home. But the miles of sand and salty water will always have my heart. The sound of the waves crashing on the sand is more beautiful than any piece of music ever composed. Running out into the waves, the cool water splashes up my legs as I adjust to the temperature. I always stop just below my shoulders so the water is deep enough to float in, but still shallow enough to stand and feel the sand rush out beneath my feet with the pull of the current. I love the way the water rolls off as I trudge back to shore, leaving my skin with a sticky glow.

The ocean roars like a might lion and crashes like thunder in a summer storm. The river is more timid than the great ocean. It babbles like a middle school girl in the hallways gossiping to her friends, and tinkles like a bell on the door of an old country store. The rivers that run though these mountains water my roots that grow deep and are forever embedded in the soil of Western North Carolina. The river is constantly moving. I love the old saying: “You never step in the same river twice.” The river is much like life in that respect. Always moving forward, it cannot be stopped. It is ever changing and unpredictable. No moment can be relived and no moment can be recreated.

Creeks are ignored. But they exist. They exist to rush over rocks and run under bridges that are out in the middle of a field. They exist to provide beautiful background music while you lie on that bridge with your favorite person holding hands and talking about cool things.

Water isn’t always good. Sometimes oceans are too rough to enjoy. Rivers are sometimes too cold to swim in. Rain can put a damper on a highly anticipated game of tennis and it washes away sidewalk chalk art.

Water isn’t always good. But that doesn’t stop me from believing in it. Water cleanses. It nourishes the body and heals the mind. When the ocean is too rough, there is always a swimming pool to jump in. You can’t cannonball into the ocean, anyways. When the river is too cold, take a bubble bath, or run through some sprinklers. When it rains, take a nap. Then go play in the puddles and look for the treasure at the end of the rainbow.