I believe in staying true

India - meridian, Idaho

I believe in staying true.

Have you ever cheated? Have you ever been cheated on? Have you ever felt that since your one love doesn’t love you, nobody does, so you’re better off dead? My grandfather did. If everyone in this world told the truth, if everyone in this world stayed true to themselves and others around them…imagine what good we could bring.

When I was about seven years old, I had a best friend…his name was Grandmpa. My Grandpa was in my eyes, the best man in the whole world. He would do anything for me, and all I wanted to do was go over to grandpa’s house all the time. But when him and my grandma started having marriage problems, I started seeing less and less of him every day. You see, my grandma wanted a divorce, but my grandpa was still in love with her, but all my grandma wanted was out of there. So they both decided one day that my grandpa would go out of town for a couple of weeks, so he could clear his head and think about things, and also so she could get her “space”. But when my grandfrather came home unexpectedly a few days earlier than everyone expected, he found my grandma in bed with another man. I don’t know if they got in a fight after that, I don’t know if he tried hitting the other man, who she later married. I don’t know any of those details, and I, quite honestly don’t want to know any of those details. But all I know, is sometime within coming home, finding his wife in bed with another man, and that night, my granpa picked up a gun, and killed himself.

My grandpa attempted to kill himself probably three times before that, and every time he would, he would always say something about my grandmother and how much he loved her, and how he couldn’t see her with any other man besides himself. And my grandma would promise him she would stay faithful and true, but some promises get broken after time.

As a seven year old, I didn’t understand what was going on. Daddy was crying all the time, Mommy didn’t want to talk, and all I wanted was to go see grandpa and ask him what the heck was going on. But whenever I asked to go see my grandfather, my parents would say “No India. He’s sick.” “No India, he’s out of town.” They did this for about six months, than they finally told me that my grandpa was sick, and God needed him in heaven. They lied, but only because that would be to much for a little seven year old girl to handle. Now, as a teenage girl, I understand what happened that April day. And now, as a teenager that’s starting to date and have boyfriends, I will NOT tolerate unfaithfulness. I believe in staying true.

Every now and than I go back to my grandmother and I ask her why she did what she did, but she never has an answer for me, but every time she says the exact same thing, “Just don’t make the same mistake I did Indee.” And I just stare at her and reply, “How could I?”