Struggle, Obstacles, and Challenges

Darlena - Kent, Washington

Ever since my parents divorced, my perspective on life changed. With that divorce, my responsibilities escalated, my mother expected more of me, and I had less time for myself. Now, I’m sixteen, taking in the responsibilities, expectations, and time more comfortably than when I was twelve.

I believe life is meant to come with struggles, obstacles, and challenges. Without them, I would never have the voice of determination in me. I feel working, striving for what I desire has more of an award than getting it handed to you. These struggles, these obstacles, these challenges, are what motivate me to keep looking forward. Like many other teenagers my age, I face those in high school.

High school is the four years that determine every teenager’s future. What I do in those four years will reflect on my college applications. I don’t want to be a failure. What will I make of myself if I don’t succeed into getting into a good college? I don’t know. In classes I get rubrics, charts that assess your effort. These are also the requirements abide with to be successful in my assignments. Just like that document, high school is similar. I must take this class or that class in order to complete requirements of acceptance for Washington colleges even if I must take a class that I lack knowledge of. What’s making me choose Honors and A.P. next year? The determination of knowing I’m building something special for myself. Besides that determination, working for what I long for always has a reward in the end.

The reward I get isn’t always visible. For instance, the feelings that forms when my mother praises my responsibility. My physical appearance would show fatigue, but inside me, I gain a sense of accomplishment. Not only are my rewards invisible, but the pressure I feel looks transparent. I don’t have time to think upon myself. Its family first, school second, religion next, where do I come? I come in last, where my reward lies, where my persistence of doing all my obligations pays off. In addition, to the reward that only I can hand myself, motivation shapes my actions.

Everyone has something that motivates them. Not everyone can pinpoint the reasons behind their actions. I must hold my responsibilities before me, so I can give some example, some knowledge into my siblings of what a hard worker looks like. The motivation in me proves I can trust myself and them to be able to do what’s right when my mother’s absent. Therefore, I’m not alone in facing challenges; my siblings are here motivating me.

I believe life’s problems are meant to be there. That belief hands me the determination and strength of withholding the heavy responsibly I have as a high school student and as the oldest sister, and the visual of seeing that all my effort I put into passing these struggles, obstacles, and challenges will lead me to a great reward.