I Believe I Can Be Better

Vianey - San Mateo, California
Themes: immigrant

This I believe, that I can be better. I was 5 years old dragging a blue blanket through the airport floors looking back at my grandmother wondering if I would ever see her again. I was flying to a new home, country, and language, something I did not choose for myself, but was chosen for me. My parents tell me they did it for my brother and I to live better and to be better. I believe I can be that better person my parents are raising me to be. I believe I can be better than the women at the store who took one look at me and only saw my Mexican ethnicity and asked for my backpack so she could keep it at the counter. Better than the man who saw my family and I and denied us a home and said four was too many, but gave it to a white family of six. Most of my life I have heard some people say I won’t go far or won’t amount to much, but I say they are wrong. I truly believe that I can be better than the friend who ,in my face, told me her first impression of me was that I was a lazy Mexican with bad grades. When hearing those words I felt my blood boiling under my skin, but the only response I could muster was “oh”. I hear the statistics constantly saying I, the Mexican girl, will get pregnant before 17, will drop out of high school, will never make it to college, or will end up working at McDonalds or Jack in the box, but I believe I can be better than these statistics. I see my parents working hard every day to the bone all for my brother and I just to be better, and I believe I can be better. I believe I can grow up to be better than my mother who cleans others homes scrubbing and washing others bathrooms and rooms, and doing other people’s laundries who, exhausted and weak by the end of the day, she comes to clean her own home. I know throughout life there will always be those people who will look at me and only see my ethnicity, but no matter what others say I will always believe that I can be better.