December 21, 2012

Brent - Wyoming, Michigan

I believe the world will end on December 21, 2012.

I know this to be true because this date is the completion of the b’ak’tun cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, used primarily by the Maya civilization. The Maya apparently believed that this day may represent a “transition” from the current Creation world into the next, but they can’t fool me: it really means the end of civilization as we know it.

(There are some who think that the completion date of the Mayan cycle is actually December 23, but since December 21 is also the winter solstice, I like the pagan symmetry better with the former choice. I suppose if the other theorists are correct, I’ll have two more days that I will need to find something to do with the last minutes of my life.)

I know what you’re thinking: “Didn’t you make the same claim about December 31, 1999?” OK, I admit, I may have bought into the Y2K hype a little more than others (I think I still may have a jug or two of water in my basement), but you can’t say I was the only one. When midnight struck in America, changing 1999 to 2000, many may have felt relief and joy, but I only felt disappointment. That disappointment actually started much earlier than midnight in America; as the clock struck midnight in other time zones across the world, I slowly came to the realization that my anticipation for the end of it all may have been premature.

And yes, I may have bought into many other theories by the dispensationalists, the millenialists, and even an admittedly weird period with the Rastafarians, but this time I know it’s for sure: December 21, 2012, is definitely the last day. Mark your calendars. (You can even tear the additional days for December off if you like.)

There are those who worry about their retirement years; e.g., will they have enough in their 401K to survive? I am free of these worries. It’s surprising, actually – knowing what the last day will be really frees you from the other worries that might plague your future thoughts. This time I won’t even worry about having jugs of bottled water with me; I’ll await whatever the end will be with breathless anticipation.

And if December 22, 2012, does actually roll around? If I’m wrong yet again in my belief that the world is going to end? Well, then maybe, just maybe… maybe I might have to reconsider my belief. Maybe I might actually have to start thinking about how to make the future better rather than hope that everything is washed away. I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it… but right now I’m pretty sure that December 22, 2012, is nothing I’ll have to worry about.