Choices we make

Ashley - palm springs, California

I believe that we learn from our mistakes and experiences in life. Everything we do in life is shaped around a variety of things. It all begins during childhood. Parents provide rules and teach us how to live in the world. They provide us morals and beliefs that we need to follow. Children also develop common sense from their parents. The teen years are also crucial for learning. Teenagers change dramatically and they begin to develop their own opinions for life. During this time, teens also learn a lot from making mistakes. Many teens are troubled with family stress or self-insecurities. Because of these problems, they turn to drugs, sex and other alternatives. Parents try to teach us before hand what to do when we face these kinds of decisions.

High school is a time when teenagers make many decisions everyday. They have to choose to succeed and do well in school or they choose to give up and make poor decisions that could affect their future. Breakups and high school drama also causes teens to make crucial decisions. I believe that in order to be the people they want to be they need to decide what kind of friends they want to have and how they want to behave.

I also believe that our family backgrounds also greatly influence the decisions we make. Life changing event like a death of a family member, irresponsible parents or a divorce can effect teens dramatically and cause them to struggle with making smart decisions. Parents are there to help their children make the right decisions. I believe that every decision we make shapes us to who we are. Beliefs also influence people to make certain choices. Religion and faith help us form morals and opinions in general. Our instincts also help guide us to make the right choices.

We learn from the decisions we make, right or wrong. For example, we are taught that studying hard is a good decision and partying or drinking is a bad decision. Parents greatly affect our decisions depending on their lifestyles and choices. Usually, most parents want their children to have the same beliefs and morals as they do. I believe that although parents try to influence their children to be like them, everyone thinks differently and their children will most likely form their own opinions and differ from their parents slightly or dramatically. I believe that decision making is crucial to succeeding in life.

I believe that the mistakes we make teach us what to do next time. Some people choose to make the same mistakes over and over again but I believe that eventually, they will learn how to change become the kind of people that they want to be. We grow from the decisions we make and when we become parents, we will teach them what we believe and we hope for the best that they will make the right decisions too.