What is Love?

Steven - Citrus Heights, California
Themes: love

Love. What is it? Is it a feeling? You can’t see it. You can’t taste it. You can’t smell it. But you know that its there, but somehow you think its a figment of your imagination. If you look up the definition of love it reads as stated: strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties. That’s what the dictionary says, but don’t go by that. Even though it is true, but it is what you think is love.

Love is more than just what you see in the movies and read in books. It is what burns inside every man, woman, and child. What I believe is that love is the very essence of our existence. The very reason why man was placed here, on earth. He wasn’t placed here to love and cherished that love till the day he ceases to exist.

Love isn’t just that sparkly or warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see an atractive person. Although there is nothing wrong with that, it is perfectly normal. LOve is what makes you happy. What you enjoy seeing or even doing day in and day out. Love can be as sweet as a puppy or a loved one, to a non-living object like money, or a non-tangible sound like music. Love is pretty much a higher and much more enjoyable version of happiness.

When you find that love, whether it is music or a person, you will do anything to hold on to it. Yet when it is taken away, you are left with the most unbearable pain ever known man. It tears you up from the inside out. It feels as though your heart has been ripped out, your soul crushed, your dreams set a blaze, and your flame of hope smothered by the ashes of your dreams. It seems as though each day is filled with a torturing and agonizing pain. And you are waiting for death to grab a hold of you and pull the very breath from you. Chilling you to the very amrrow of your bones.

Sounds painful doesn’t it? By all means I know that feeling all to well. Everybody has his or her shares of heartaches. Some are worse than others, although if you ride the storm out things do get better. And besides that pain you feel is where strength comes from. Love blinds you from the pains of reality, but at the same time it opens your eyes to a whole New World, which is a good thing. It is good to know that love does exist in you. This is what I believe love is. As Walt Whitman onec said, “The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.” My question to you is what is your verse?