Gas Prices are though the roof

Cody - Palm Desert, California
Themes: setbacks

Gas is essential in our society today, but with gas prices so high how can people afford it? Gas is a necessity for transportation to places such as work, school, the gym, movie, or other leisure activities. Through my personal experience I find it extremely difficult to afford. Gas prices are making our economy and daily activities hit a downfall. Just the other day I was at a gas station here in sunny Palm Springs, California , and a middle aged man standing by his 1980 Honda Civic with his wife in the passenger seat, approached me and asked, “ Hey Bro, do you have a dollar or something so I could put gas in my car?” I looked at him with a blank stare, and then I replied “Dude I can barely put gas into my car…I’m so sorry.” Then it hit me I can’t believe that I am paying four dollars and some change for a gallon of gas. I barely could afford to fill my tank half way much less help others. I wanted to help but with the cost so high I could only afford my own. Our economy has suffered due to these extreme costs and in it I have noticed poverty more then ever.

With a minimum wage job it is impossible to afford a house or have a family much less pay for gas prices like these. Today more than ever I find it a necessity to have a job close to home, to conserve gas and in turn save money. For living in the United States it is becoming more challenging to afford gas. Gas prices have gradually increased over these past couple years. I think that the gas prices are too costly for me and for much of our population to pay for!

Ultimately I believe that gas should not be so over priced. It is impossible to save money or make an investment when most of my money is going towards gas. I have found that for me to travel to San Diego it costs over $100 in gas, which is outrageous. It would change the United States if the gas was affordable for middle and lower class people. When I first got my license I paid about $2.80 and today I am paying over $4.00. To change the poverty and struggle in the United States the government could start with gas prices that make a profit and that are reasonable to affordable.